[PLing] WG: Populism conference, deadline ahead!
r.wodak at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Oct 19 19:29:36 CEST 2015
CALL FOR PANELS AND PAPERS
Populism as movement and rhetoric
Jyväskylä, Finland on 17-19 March 2016
Venue: University of Jyväskylä, Seminarium (S)
Extended DL October 21th 2015
In Finland as elsewhere in Europe, rapid social change, multicultural challenges, social inequality, and the way different kinds of threat are disseminated by the media for public imagination, have given rise to populist protests and appeals to cultural values usually combining anti-elite and anti-immigrant nationalism with nationally and locally bounded demands of social justice. In the conference, the populist movement and populist rhetoric are in the focus. We invite papers that study populism as a phenomenon with multiple sources and multiple agendas. Issues of nationality, Europeanness, ethnicity, gender, and environmental issues can be explored against the backdrop of the new public sphere and the intermingling of the private and the public in it.
Yannis Stavrakakis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Ruth Wodak, professor emerita, Lancaster University
Eoin Devereux, University of Limerick,
Mikko Lehtonen, University of Tampere
Coordinators of the conference: PhD Urpo Kovala and PhD Tuija Saresma, Department of Art and Culture Studies, University of Jyväskylä, Finland.
Conference secretary: Irma Hirsjärvi populistrhetoric2016 at jyu.fi<mailto:populistrhetoric2016 at jyu.fi> Tel +358 40 8053518<tel:%2B358%2040%208053518>
Possible topics of the panels and presentations include, but are not limited to:
* abusive empowerment in the rhetoric of protest
* articulations of religion in populist agendas
* from protest to power: populism in the margin and in the centre
* cultural expressions of populism; cultural populism
* politics and culture of populism
* populist discourse
* populist movements
· populist rhetoric
· populism and the 'people'
· populism and gender
Submissions for panel sessions
The deadline for proposals for panel sessions is October 21th 2015. The proposal has to include the title and a general description of the panel as well as the names of the individual contributors and the titles of their presentations. The maximum length is 300 words, excluding possible references.
Submissions for individual paper presentations
Individual paper presentations are organized in parallel sessions with 30 minute slots that include discussion time. The deadline for individual paper proposals is October 21th 2015. The maximum length is 300 words, excluding possible references. If you wish to also participate to a workgroup with your paper, please indicate this in your abstract. The acceptance will be notified in two weeks after the deadline
Submissions for workgroups
We are looking for interdisciplinary and multidimensional workgroups and hope for openings also from fields not traditionally studying populism. The deadline for workgroup paper proposals is October 21th 2015. The maximum length is 300 words, excluding possible references. The acceptance will be notified in two weeks after the deadline. Please indicate in your abstract if you wish to participate to a workgroup. If you wish to receive more information about the workgroups, please contact the workgroup coordinator (as indicated in the workgroup description).
* "Populism in the history of political thought, philosophy and social theory" (for more information, see the conference website https://www.jyu.fi/en/congress/populistrhetoric2016) Workshop coordinator: Mikko Jakonen, Lecturer in political science (fixed term), University of Jyväskylä. E-mail: mikko.p.jakonen [at] jyu.fi<http://jyu.fi>)
* "Welfare chauvinism" Workshop Coordinator: Tuija Saresma, E-mail tuija.saresma at juy.fi<mailto:tuija.saresma at juy.fi>
* "Populism and parliamentary Politics" Workshop Coordinator: Tuula Vaarakallio, tuumarva at gmail.com<mailto:tuumarva at gmail.com>
* "The Gender of populism" Workshop Coordinator: Tuija Saresma, E-mail tuija.saresma at juy.fi<mailto:tuija.saresma at juy.fi>
* "Populism in Social Media" Workshop Coordinator: Maria Ruotsalainen maria.a.t.ruotsalainen at juy.fi<mailto:maria.a.t.ruotsalainen at juy.fi>
* "Cultural aspects of populism and populist rhetoric" Workshop Coordinator: Urpo Kovala, E-mail: urpo.k.kovala at juy.fi<mailto:urpo.k.kovala at juy.fi>
* "Populism and the uses of religion" Workshop Coordinator: Laura Parkkinen, E-mail lparkkin at abo.fi<mailto:lparkkin at abo.fi>
* "Populist discussion on immigration" Workshop Coordinator: Tuija Saresma, E-mail tuija.saresma at juy.fi<mailto:tuija.saresma at juy.fi>
* "The Fans of Halla-Aho; Fandom in Populism" Workshop Coordinator: Irma Hirsjärvi, E-mail: Irma.hirsjarvi at juy.fi<mailto:Irma.hirsjarvi at juy.fi>
* " Populist dynamics" Workshop coordinator: Emilia Palonen. E-mail:Emilia.palonen at helsinki.fi<mailto:Emilia.palonen at helsinki.fi>
If you wish to participate without presenting a paper, please contact the conference secretary.
Submissions and registration https://www.jyu.fi/en/congress/populistrhetoric2016
Fees, scholarships and grants
Early bird fee is 140 euro (students 40 euro) until February 14th. Lunches, refreshments and conference dinner are included. Further information about travel and accommodation in Jyväskylä can be found in the conference website https://www.jyu.fi/en/congress/populistrhetoric2016
A number of scholarships and grants for PhD students and those coming from the low income countries and are in need of financial support will be provided. They consist in a reduction of the participation fee and include all meals. Please note that the deadline for applying for a scholarship or grant is October 21th. The application process and criteria are explained in greater detail on the website: https://www.jyu.fi/en/congress/populistrhetoric2016
The conference takes place in the city of Jyväskylä (http://visit.jyvaskyla.fi/en). It is organized by the research project Populism as Movement and Rhetoric, funded by the Academy of Finland (2014-2016) together with the Department of Art and Culture Studies, University of Jyväskylä (https://www.jyu.fi/en)
About the research project:https://www.jyu.fi/hum/laitokset/taiku/opiskelu/nykykulttuuri/tutkimus/projektit/populismi
Email:populistrhetoric2016 at jyu.fi<mailto:populistrhetoric2016 at jyu.fi>
Facebook: Populism as movement and rhetorics
Web page: https://populismasmovementandrhetoric.wordpress.com/<https://populismasmovementandrhetorics.wordpress.com/>
Twitter: during the conference #populistculture
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the PLing