[PLing] Gastvortrag "Sociophonetic construal in speech perception" von Chris Koops, 23.5.2014, 14:15-15:30

Arne Lohmann arne.lohmann at univie.ac.at
Tue May 6 14:39:38 CEST 2014

Das Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik

und das Dekanat der Philologisch-Kulturwissenschaftlichen Fakultät der
Universität Wien

beehren sich, zu einem

**

*Gastvortrag von*

*Christian Koops, Ph.D.*

*University of New Mexico*

*"Sociophonetic construal in speech perception"*

*//*

*am Freitag, dem 23. Mai 2014, 14:15-15:30 Uhr*

*im Seminarraum 6 am Institut für Anglistik (2. Stock)*

*Campus Hof 8, Spitalgasse 2-4, 1090 Wien
*

**

einzuladen.

/At the same time as displaying sociolinguistic variation in our own
speech, we also possess a lifetime of experience perceiving variation in
the speech of others. Experience-based models of phonological knowledge,
such as exemplar models (Goldinger 1996, 1998; Johnson 1997), posit that
as listeners, we closely track and memorize both the frequency of
particular linguistic forms (Bybee 2006) and statistical correlations
with the individuals and groups who produce them. This sociolinguistic
knowledge, in turn, is accessed in speech perception (e.g., Hay, Warren
& Drager 2006). I refer to the process of interpreting an acoustic
signal with reference to the dialect attributed to a speaker
as sociophonetic construal. /

/This talk presents the results of a recent experiment designed to test
the limits of sociophonetic construal. The backdrop of this work are the
findings of a prior production survey of language variation in the
Houston metropolitan area, specifically variation between and within the
speech of Houston Anglos and African-Americans. The results provide
evidence for the perceptual reality of speaker 'style', i.e. the
co-variation of structurally unrelated features in a particular variety.
It demonstrates that listeners accurately infer the likelihood of one
feature being present (here: glottalized word- final /d/) from the
presence of other features (here, for example, the raising of the front
lax vowels)./

    Univ.-Prof. Dr. Barbara SeidlhoferUniv.-Prof. Dr. Matthias Meyer

(Vorständin des Instituts(Dekan der Philologisch-Kultur-

für Anglistik und Amerikanistik)wissenschaftlichen Fakultät)

_(Kontakt: Arne Lohmann, arne.lohmann at univie.ac.at
<mailto:arne.lohmann at univie.ac.at>)_

--
--