<font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif">Yes, I download Xref File everyday and archive it. Every quarter we use 1 Xref file which is at least 3 months old. And we create a patch bundle on a central server. Have a few wrappers written up to create the bundle and install it.</font></font><div>

<font class="Apple-style-span" color="#3333ff" face="verdana, sans-serif"><br></font></div><div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif"></font></font><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#3333ff" face="verdana, sans-serif">-GGR</font><div>

<div><span style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif">--</span><br style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif"><span style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif">Rajiv G Gunja</span><br style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif">

<span style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif">Blog: <a href="http://ossrocks.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://ossrocks.blogspot.com</a></span><br>
<br><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 09:34, little help <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:littlehelphere@gmail.com">littlehelphere@gmail.com</a>></span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

Rajiv,<br>   When you say you use xref files for a quarter - can you elaborate on how you do this?  Do you download and save all xref files on a regular basis and run patch updates against them or use the last xref file for a specific quarter as the "golden copy".  In regards to running pca against a specific xref file for my case - I was thinking the same thing.  Seems like the only real way to make sure all servers are patched at a certain level.  If anyone else uses a different method please feel free to share.  Thanks.<div>

<div></div><div class="h5"><br>
<br><div class="gmail_quote">On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Rajiv Gunja <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:opn.src.rocks@gmail.com" target="_blank">opn.src.rocks@gmail.com</a>></span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);padding-left:1ex">


<font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif">I have never used the big number in the (). What I use is the number of patches missing.</font></font><div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif"><br></font></font></div>




<div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif">For a give Xref file (which date you downloaded), PCA gives you all the missing patches for a server to that date.</font></font></div><div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif"><br>




</font></font></div><div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif">@ our company, we set dates for each quarter and use only those Xref files to patch a server in that quarter.</font></font></div><div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif"><br>




</font></font></div><div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif">For your needs, pick an Xref file/date and run PCA list on all the servers and get the number of patches missing for that date.</font></font></div>




<div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif"><br></font></font></div><div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif">If you have more than 20, run a script to download the 3 files to a single server and run listing on that single server, it will be much faster and you will have a log of before and after patching configuration.</font></font></div>




<div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif"><br></font></font></div><div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif">-GGR</font></font></div><div><font color="#3333ff"><font face="verdana,sans-serif"></font></font><span style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif">--</span><font color="#888888"><br style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif">




<span style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif">Rajiv G Gunja</span><br style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif"><span style="color:rgb(51, 51, 255);font-family:verdana,sans-serif">Blog: <a href="http://ossrocks.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://ossrocks.blogspot.com</a></span></font><div>


<div></div><div><br>


<br><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:13, little help <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:littlehelphere@gmail.com" target="_blank">littlehelphere@gmail.com</a>></span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);padding-left:1ex">




    I am running some reports via PCA and had a quick question about the "List:" portion of the output that s generated via PCA. I am trying to generate a report of missing patches against all possible
 patches for a host.  For example can I get pca to report that I am 
missing 20 out of a possible 200 patches for this host.  I need to 
report what percentage of patches are missing from a host. <br>    From the website it states <br><i><br>"The header includes some general information about the patchdiag.xref
file, the host (<b>Host:</b>) and the listed patches (<b>List:</b>). The numbers
in parantheses are the number of listed patches and the sum of their ages
in days; when listing missing patches, this is a rough indicator of the
current patch state."<br><br></i>Can someone clarify what the sum of patch dates is used for?    <br>
</blockquote></div><br></div></div></div>
</blockquote></div><br>
</div></div></blockquote></div><br></div></div></div>