[Newsletter Alte Geschichte] WG: Fwd: Announcement: Visit of Harlyn Baker at the HCI

Vortragseinladungen und Ankündigungen im Bereich d Vortragseinladungen und Ankündigungen im Bereich d
Mo Apr 23 14:09:23 CEST 2012

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Michael Winckler [mailto:Michael.Winckler at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de]
Gesendet: Montag, 23. April 2012 12:42
An: undisclosed-recipients:
Betreff: Fwd: Fwd: Announcement: Visit of Harlyn Baker at the HCI

Invitation: Talk by Harlyn Baker, invited by HGS MathComp

On April the 24. and 25. we have a guest from the HP Labs, Paolo Alto at the
HCI.

Harlyn Baker: http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Harlyn_Baker/

He will give a talk on Tuesday 24. at 17h in the HCI Colloquium and if
anyone is interested in talking to him, please send me an email. The talk
takes place in the great seminarroom H.2.22 at the HCI Speyerer Str. 6 .

See, you there,

    Sven Wanner

*Abstract:*

*Multi-imager camera arrays for panoramic, multi-viewpoint, and 3D
capture* Advances in building high-performance camera arrays have opened the
opportunity – and challenge – of using these devices for synchronized 3D and
multi-viewpoint capture. In this vein, I will discuss a high-bandwidth
multi-imager camera system supporting 72 wide-VGA imagers in simultaneous
synchronized 30 and 60 Hz operation uncompressed to a single PC. A 6-imager
1080P60 system is in house, preparing for upgrade from PCI-X to PCIe, where
multiple dozens are expected to be supported in sustained video delivery.
Such a source of massive synchronized video capture presents new
opportunities in imaging, including geometry recovery, immersive
experiences, entertainment, surveillance, autonomous navigation, and others.
A requirement of using camera arrays for quantitative work is that their
relative poses be known, so calibration of these sensing elements is a
prerequisite of their use. I argue for use of structured arrays – where
imagers' intrinsics and relative positions do not change, and it is feasible
to perform this calibration once, before any use. I will present progress in
developing a variety of calibration approaches that capitalize on high
quality homographies (non metric) and related camera placement constraints
in developing globally optimal solutions, including rectifying homographies,
fundamental matrices, epipoles, and epipolar rectification parameters for
the entire system. The methods build on what we identify as the
Rank-One-Perturbation-of-Identity
(ROPI) structure of homologies in posing a unified SVD estimator for the
parameters. I will summarize the theory, and present both qualitative
depictions and quantitative assessments of our results.
Our use of these camera systems include composing panoramic mosaics for
videoconferencing and sports capture, linear baseline multiview capture for
automultiscopic display, and geometry recovery using Epipolar Plane
structurings. I hope to bring a multi-view camera system with me and
demonstrate its capabilities on a laptop. Much of this work has been done in
collaboration with Zeyu Li, studying at UC Berkeley under Ruzena Bajcsy.

--
Sven Wanner

Heidelberg Collaboratory for Image Processing - HCI Heidelberg University

Speyerer Str 6, Room H2.16
69120 Heidelberg, Germany

Email :sven.wanner at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tel   : ++49-6221-54 5283